I originally came across the following video back when it was first released. Today I stumbled on it again and thought it was a great reminder in the wake of the Google Panda, Fresh, and Penguin updates. Although the ranking algorithm continues to evolve, the philosophy behind what ranks well and what does not is the same.
Here are the key points she makes in the video:
- No Value Prop – What compelling reason are you giving to make a user click your result over anyone else’s when they view it in the SERP?
- Segmented Approach – With large companies broken out into divisions under separate P&Ls, it is easy to err with the overall user experience and SEO efforts.
- Time-Consuming Workarounds – Google provides a list of possible tagging options to best show them what content to rank in different situations, but it is easy to overcook it and create something that is unmanageable and unscalable.
- Getting Caught in SEO Trends – Know what is ongoing, relevant SEO direction and what is just a fad or hype.
- Slow Iteration – Things move fast today. Eliminate group-think and bloated processes in favor of a more agile approach to optimization and testing.